The beacon – a definition:
“A platform for marking up the world to make your apps and devices work smarter by providing timely, contextual information.”
Here are the reasons why you should know all about beacons and be prepared for the Internet of Things:
- 60 million beacons will be shipped by 2019
- The beacon installed base will see a five-year compound annual growth rate of 287%
- Connected devices to almost triple to >38 billion units by 2020, up from 13.4 billion in 2015
- 50% of the top 100 US-retailers were testing beacons last year
- Shoppers who receive a beacon message are 6.4x more likely to keep an app on their phone
- In-store app usage is 16.5x greater for users who receive a beacon message
Our trusted beacon technology partner kontakt.io has put together this beautiful explainer infographic, which intuitively visualizes the beacon magic and demonstrates how the little devices interact with your smartphone.
Follow @minodes on Twitter and at facebook.com/minodes for more technology, marketing and retail industry insights.